Re: Are these two xpath expression equal?

There is a nice paper on equivalence of XPath queries:

Dan Olteanu, Holger Meuss, Tim Furche, and Fran cois Bry. XPath: Looking
Forward. In Akmal B. Chaudhri, Rainer Unland, Chabane Djeraba, and
Wolfgang Lindner, editors, EDBT Workshops, volume 2490 of Lecture Notes
in Computer Science, pages 109-127. Springer, 2002.

Kind regards,
Maurice van Keulen.

Michael Kay wrote:

> They are different. Consider the document
>
> <A>
>   <B>
>     <C/>
>   </B>
>   <B>
>     <D/>
>   </B>
> </A>
>
> The first expression will select the <D/> element, the second will not.
>
> The first expression selects a D using the path A/B/D provided that
> the A owns a B which owns a C.
>
> The second expression selects a D using the path A/B/D provided that
> the B owns a C.
>
> Michael Kay

Dr.Ir. M. van Keulen - Assistant Professor, Data Management Technology
Univ. of Twente, Dept of EEMCS, POBox 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands
Email: m.vankeulen@utwente.nl, Phone: +31 53 4893688, Room: INF3039
WWW: http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~keulen