Re: creation order vs. document order

Torsten Grust wrote:
> On September 23 (15:35 +0200), Jan Hidders wrote with possible deletions:
> | [...]
> |    for $a in $list1
> |    for $b in $list2
> |    where $a/name = $b/name
> |    return <c> $a, $b </c>
> |
> | Must the result of this always be a list that is sorted in document
> | order? Intuitively I would expect them to be sorted in the order in
> | which they were created, but as far as I can tell the formal semantics
> | leaves this unspecified.
>
> Your expectation is met: the resulting list of <c> elements is in
> creation order as you name it.

Ok, but can you point out to me where in the formal semantics it says
that it *must* be so? We are trying here, for research purposes, to come
up with a concise, formal and complete description of the semantics of
(a subset) of XQuery, so I would like to be sure.

> Document order sorted node lists are
> created when XPath location steps are applied to a given (however
> sorted) sequence of context nodes.

I know. Check out the latest DBPL proceedings. :-)

Kind regards,

--
    Jan Hidders

  | Post-doctoral researcher               e-mail: jan.hidders@ua.ac.be |
  | Dept. Math. & Computer Science         tel: (+32) 3 218 08 73       |
  | University of Antwerp                  fax: (+32) 3 218 07 77       |
  | Middelheimlaan 1, BE-2020 Antwerpen, BELGIUM     room: G 3.21       |