From: Peter Fankhauser [mailto:fankhaus@ipsi.fraunhofer.de]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 12:54 PM
To: 'andreas jacobsen'; www-ql@w3.org
Cc: Lehti@ipsi.fhg.de
Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: XQuery as a multidatabase language

My colleague Patrick Lehti (lehti@ipsi.fhg.de) is working on this.

In principle XQuery (and/or XSLT) can of course resolve the entire range
of differences
(naming, scale, structure) between semantically equivalent but different
representations of information, simply because XQuery is a
computationally complete functional
programming language. By means of user defined functions as the poor
man's version of
the database notion of views one can even encapsulate a good deal of the
underlying
complexity.

However, using XQuery for the entire job can result in fairly complex
(and difficult to optimize) integration architectures. Also, evolution
(addition of new datasources) can get a bit tedious. Patrick is
therefore
exploring an approach (a variant of the "local-as-view-approach") that
uses
OWL as goal schema. Local schemas are declaratively mapped to this goal
schemas by means of OWL-assertions (same-class as etc.),
representational
differences between equivalent schema constituents are overcome by means
of
an XQuery-like language for OWL instances. Thereby semantic equivalence
is
sort of decoupled from the underlying implementation that resolves
representational differences. This approach should allow for more
modular and evolvable integration architectures, and bears lots of
interesting possibilities for consistency checking, optimization, etc.

Hope this helps,

Peter