RE: types of numeric literals and operators

I agree.  In fact, almost two years ago I submitted a public comment
stating:

2. "permits lightweight operations wherever possible".  I don't agree.
Due to the type of literals and arithmetic operator results, almost all
integer values will have type xs:integer and have to be treated
internally as "big integers" (unlimited range) as the implementation
cannot be sure of their values.  Even if the user casts all results to
xs:int explicitly, the implementation has to check for overflow on all
arithmetic operations.  Compiling to code that simply uses machine ints
that wrap around on overflow (like Java, most C implementations, etc do)
is not possible.  I suggest giving literals like [0-9]* type xs:int and
defining arithmetic on long, int, short, byte as in Java.

This comment was ignored completely.  Perhaps someone should submit a
comment along these lines as a last-call comment to the F&O draft.  The
phrase about lightweight operations is still there at the start of
section 6.

Regards,

Bas de Bakker
X-Hive Corporation