Re: Microsoft releases XQuery Demo to the Web

Hi Ashok,

It's great to hear from you.  I would love to have dinner
with you.  This week is not good timing, however.  I am
preparing to leave for VLDB (in Rome).  Gail is coming with
me, so her mother is arriving Thursday night to stay with
the kids.  This make Thursday a little awkward.  Since we
leave
on Friday, I expect that we will be up to our ears in last
minute packing.  Mitch is also going to VLDB.  He and Mike
Franklin
and I are doing a tutorial.

It would be great to have dinner or even just visit with
you.
However, I'm afraid that it would be difficult this time.
Perhaps next time you are in the area.

Please stay in touch,
Stan

> Ashok Malhotra wrote:
>
> We wanted to let you know that Microsoft has released to
> the Web, XQuery
>
> Demo, their implementation of the June 7th version of the
> W3C XML Query
>
> Working Draft  http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/. XQuery is a
> data model for
>
> XML documents, a set of query operators on that data
> model, and a query
>
> language based on these query operators being developed as
> an open
>
> standard within the W3C. Microsoft, and many other
> industry leaders,
>
> believe that XML Query development is the evolution of XML
> technologies.
>
> As XML has made data ubiquitously interoperable, XML Query
> makes that
>
> data openly accessible.
>
> We are releasing this demo to give developers early access
> to this
>
> emerging technology and drive feedback from them on our
> API
>
> implementation and the current XQuery specification.
> Microsoft is
>
> strongly committed to open standards and making those
> standards
>
> available to the developer community. This demo is part of
> our ongoing
>
> effort to support that position. We are planning to
> integrate XQuery
>
> into a wide range of our products (including our XML
> support for SQL
>
> Server and our .NET Framework classes).
>
> The Microsoft XQuery Demo is available as a Web-based tool
> or a
>
> download. The Web-based tool can be used to let users
> execute XQuery
>
> against a specific set of documents. The downloaded
> version of the
>
> Microsoft XQuery Demo consists of managed classes that can
> be programmed
>
> against using the Beta 2 release of the .Net Framework
> SDK. The
>
> Microsoft XQuery Demo contains all the classes necessary
> to run XQuery
>
> over arbitrary XML documents and to utilize the XQuery
> language in
>
> developing programs. These classes are designed to
> integrate into the
>
> existing .NET Framework
>
> The Microsoft XQuery Demo will be available on 15 Aug 2001
>
> at<http://131.107.228.20/xquerydemo/demo.aspx>.  You can
> find more
>
> information about XML Query on the W3C website
>
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Query.
>
> All the best, Ashok

> Ashok Malhotra              <mailto:
> ashokma@microsoft.com>
>
> Microsoft Corporation
>
> 212 Hessian Hills Road
>
> Croton-On-Hudson, NY 10520 USA
>
> Redmond: 425-703-9462                New York:
> 914-271-6477

Stan Zdonik                            (401) 863-7648 voice
Professor                              (401) 863-7657 fax
Brown University                        sbz@cs.brown.edu
Department of Computer Science
P.O. Box 1910
Providence, RI 02912