Re: [ANNOUNCE] QuiP: Software AG's XQuery Prototype

Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com writes:

> I believe there are over 70 example queries in the distribution you
> downloaded, queries that operate on on about 14 sample XML files. The
> Shakespeare examples have to be loaded into a Tamino database before they
> work, but the rest of them work out of the box.
>
> Just hit the "open" button on the GUI, and you will see a list of queries.
> Pick any of the non-Shakespeare queries for starters. If you want to do the
> Shakespeare queries, you will have to download Tamino and install the .xml
> in a database first - or modify the queries, but they do run slowly on
> plain text files, without indexing.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the further information.

Could I suggest that the readme.txt file explains more clearly to the new
user that a proportion of the examples simply won't work if they downloaded
only Quip. Since the readme.txt file comes with the Quip-only download it
isn't unreasonable to tell readers that several of the examples won't run
with what they have downloaded, in the form that they have downloaded it.

That would add to the suggestions you have already made on the Tamino
Community forum.

Now that I am beginning to understand what should and what shouldn't work
with the download I chose, then it all begins to make more sense. :) ...
Thanks for your help.

Regards

Andrew Watt