RE: [Call For Review] How to Add a Favicon to your Site

> David Dorward

> Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> > Also possibly worth mentioning the "shortcut icon" rel
> attribute which
> > many people wrongly use.
>
> What is wrong about it?
> It is an icon link, and it is a shortcut link.

Hmm...my apologies. I half remembered the following bit from
looking at the Wikipedia entry ages ago:

"The rel attribute must contain a space-delimited list of link types, so a two-word link type would not be understood correctly by conforming web browsers."

Of course it's a moot point if "icon" on its own is
valid, as even if the user agent doesn't see the two separate
words as a single link type, it would ideally see the "icon" part
of "shortcut icon".

So disregard my statement about "wrong" (although, turning the
above argument around, calling an image a "shortcut" seems a bit
of a stretch - to be pedantic, wouldn't the icon be a visual
representation associated with a shortcut, and not a shortcut
in its own right? Sorry, I'm probably splitting hairs here)

Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk
http://webstandards.org/