Re: Answer to Ian Hickson: Modesty requirement

Dear Ian,

On Issue 1050.

Le 05-05-03 à 12:29, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> I guess I accept the resolution if the working group still thinks that
> claiming conformance or claiming qualities is ok,

We acknowledged your positive answer. Thanks, but we discussed it [1]
again because you had concerns

> but I have read many
> specs that claim to be in compliance with some other spec, or that
> claim
> to have certain qualities, where in fact it was quite plain that the
> specification neither complied nor succeeded in having those
> qualities;
> and when asking those working groups to correct the specs or remove
> the
> claims, the claims were treated not as potentially false statements
> but as
> acts of faith and therefore unquestionable. It is this attitude that I
> would like to see discouraged by having the wording clearly state
> intent
> rather than success.

And we decided to continue with our initial stance.
Thanks for your comment.

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/
5.1.1.5.2.20050510084627.00aa63a8@mailserver.nist.gov

W3C Conformance Manager