Re: Extension/Extensibility examples in W3C Specifications

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Lynne Rosenthal wrote:

> I think there is danger in this.  As Alex points out, for outsiders,
> this doesn't work.

I cannot think of any extension mechanism that makes
required-to-understand extensions "work" for those who do not
understand those extensions. Thus, I am not sure why negotiating
extensions runtime is any more dangerous.

> As for SpecGL - this isn't something to promote, but maybe something
> to provide as an example of something not recommended.

I hope that does not happen, but would be interested in reading "not
recommended" rationale and adjusting the extension mechanism
accordingly.

Thanks,

Alex.