Re: Extension/Extensibility examples in W3C Specifications

At 03:16 PM 5/4/2004 +0200, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
>[dropping www-qa-wg, no need to cross post]
>
>Hi Lynne,
>
>Le mar 04/05/2004 à 14:19, Lynne Rosenthal a écrit :
> > This is in contrast to Mark's view (which I finally understand) - His view
> > is that, if you use the defined mechanism, then it isn't an
> > extension.
>
>Thanks for this clarification ; for what it's worth, this is probably
>the first time I see "extension" used in this meaning

Dom,

One more question.  Lynne and I have been looking at various W3C recs and
can not find the term "extensions" used in the generic way we're using
it.  Can you point us to some place where "extensions" are used in that way
and perhaps where it's defined.  One possibility Lynne and I discussed is
to just use "extensibility" and not use, or define, "extensions" (assuming
the term is not really used).  This approach may lead to less confusion and
more precise explanations.

Mark

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174