Re: Extension/Extensibility examples in W3C Specifications

At 03:16 PM 5/4/2004 +0200, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
>[dropping www-qa-wg, no need to cross post]
>
>Hi Lynne,
>
>Le mar 04/05/2004 à 14:19, Lynne Rosenthal a écrit :
> > This is in contrast to Mark's view (which I finally understand) - His view
> > is that, if you use the defined mechanism, then it isn't an
> > extension.
>
>Thanks for this clarification ; for what it's worth, this is probably
>the first time I see "extension" used in this meaning ; are there any
>references that could incite us to use this one, rather the one which I
>think is more common in W3C?

I think it all boils down to the definition of "extensions".  If
"extensions" are the inclusion of additional features, rather than
functions, as Lofton has argued for (and I agree) then if a feature is
already present to handle additional functionality, it's not an
extension.  Extensions are new ways of doing new things.  I believe one
reference is CGM. CGM has GDPs and Escapes to allow for additional
functionality.  If an implementer used a GDP or an Escape, he was not
providing an extension, in my opinion.  I'll (or maybe Lynne will) try to
check the verbiage in CGM.

Mark

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174