RE: QA Tips: Make readable URIs

Hi Karl

> Le 18 sept. 2003, à 12:56, Alex Rousskov a écrit :
> > 	- ease of typing
> > 	- ease of pronouncing (for those who cannot type)
> > 	- ease of remembering
> > 	- meaning (or lack of it)

These are suggestions I make strongly to my users.  Whilst admitting to
being an English-only speaker (my French & Russian will just about allow me
to order a meal) this advice is good for English speakers, and irrelevant in
some languages and arguably dangerous in others (if one of my innocuous
words is a swear word in another language, for example).

However I would argue that this approach is better in most cases than
having, say, a set of random characters which won't be of benefit to anyone.

I suspect this isn't what you are saying, though.

Would the comments you made be addressed by including in the QA Tips a
statement along the lines

"You should be aware that URIs which are memorable in the native language
may be meaningless or misleading in other languages.  You may need to give
thoughts to such issues, especially if your resource is intended for an
international audience."

Thinking some more on this, there is the language issue for URIs in
multilingual or bi-lingual countries.  There is a paper on various issues
for Web sites in Wales (Welsh and English languages). See
Bilingual usability of unitary authority Web sites in Wales. Cunliffe, D.
Proceedings of The Web in Public Administration, EuroWeb 2001 Conference, O.
Signore and B. Hopgood (Eds.), Pisa, Italy, December 2001, 229-244. ISBN
88-88327-33-9.  Paper (PDF format) linked in from
<http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/~Daniel.Cunliffe/bilingual/wales.htm>.

Brian