Re: testability definition (was: Re: FYI : a new draft of "QA Framework - Specifications Guidelines" published)

At 04:03 PM 9/6/2002 -0600, Lofton Henderson wrote:

>> >       "A specification is testable if there exists some finite
>> >       cost-effective process with which a person or software can check
>> >       that the requirement has been met."

>I think Alex is right, that we ought to have a look at the language
>here.  We are all aware that you can never prove behavioral specifications
>correct (but you can prove them incorrect).  Most of us at the same time
>believe in the value of applying falsification testing to implementations
>of behavioral requirements.

Let me try to bring al little perspective back to this discussion.   The
original definition (which I think is perfectly acceptable) says absolutely
nothing, and implies absolutely nothing,  about "proving an implementation
correct".  It's addressing the testability of the spec - not the provable
correctness of the implementation.

Let's break it down.  It says:

1)  A spec  is testable

That's what we're defining

2) if there exists a finite, cost-effective process

Test suites we're familiar with are finite, (cost-effective is debatable),
processes

3)  which a person or software can check  that the requirement has been met

Software (perhaps combined with human judgement) does "check" that the
requirement has been met.  It may not "prove" that the requirement has been
met, but it certainly checks.  In fact, if done correctly, it "checks" with
a high degree of probability that the checking is correct.  Again, nowhere
does this definition say "There is a finite  cost-effective process to
enumerate all valid inputs." like Alex seems to think it says.

I believe this definition was actually thought out carefully.

It's correct and there is no reason to change it.  The only change I would
contemplate is removal of the "cost effective" phrase.  It is too subjective.

Mark