Re: Conformance and Deprecated Features

At 22:16 -0800 2002-01-29, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>The idea that a conformant authoring tool "MUST NOT" implement the
>deprecated feature has to be carefully worded.  A document generated for
>usage in X user agents may need to use features that are deprecated in
>X+1.  A better restriction is that a fully X+1 conformant user agents MUST
>be configurable to generate X+1 content that doesn't rely on deprecated
>features.

Nope I do not agree. :)
If you have an editor which is generating content for examples an HTML editor.

I don't want that the tool if I'm choosing a DOCTYPE for example have
still in the menu features that are not anymore in the DTD or the
Schema. If I do a check syntax or check validity from the document I
don't want that deprecated tags be authorized.

If I want to produce old content, I want that the authoring is in a
mode that can produce this content, but not another one. (always
DOCTYPE/Schema switching mechanism)

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
           http://www.w3.org/QA/