RE: [www-qa] Re: Conformance and Implementations

At 10:03 AM 10/19/01 -0400, Mark Skall wrote:
>[...]
>So the only confusion comes when something is ambiguous.  In that case, I
>would agree that the standards body (in this case W3C) should make the
>interpretation.  However, the tester should not test for something that is
>not clear in the standard.  The standard needs to be revised to reflect
>the  intent.  Only after this occurs, can a test suite test for that
>requirement.  Until then, the test for that requirement should be
>withdrawn.  Standards developers must stand behind the wording in the standard.

I agree.  However, the length of W3C document cycle, by which corrections
and clarifications actually get published, creates another problem.  Some
key point of a spec is ambiguous, so at best, implementors develop a formal
consensus of "the right way", and at worst, they implement different
interpretations.  In the latter case, a legacy of problems becomes
instantiated in products (and then ... see earlier "bugwards compatibility"
thread).

This suggests the utility of a "normative errata" mechanism.  ISO has a
formal "defects" process, for example.  Defect corrections go through a
formal review and resolution process, which is typically much shorter than
document-release cycles.  Once published, a Defect Resolution is considered
to be part of the standard.

-Lofton.