Re: Fwd: [Markup?] languages for test specification

Thank you Wendy for this good research.

My experience is closest to the last reference Wendy mentioned:  creating
abstract test-requirement patterns as assertions about the good vs. bad
stimulus-response combinations in a suitably elaborated state-trace space.
"Suitably elaborated" means that before/after transaction distinctions are
made, but some details behind the interface are elided.  Not all details are
exposed, not all details are suppressed.  The view is expanded just enough to
capture all information necessary to evaluate the test-requirement assertions.

For comparable experience in the hardware modeling domain see also

 Forum on Design Languages 2001
 <http://www.ecsi.org/ecsi/fdl/fdl01/tuesday.htm>http://www.ecsi.org/ecsi/f
dl/fdl01/tuesday.htm

Where test point modeling is noted as a specialty-language domain with
currency.

Notes:

1) the W3C has up until now had an unfortunate bias toward ignoring the
role of
behavior in _defining_ web media, Reference:  Google for "behavior matters
wai-tech-comments".

2) where it comes to specifying and confirming behavior, the requirements
for a
spec-or-test-point-definition language are the same whether the behavior is
realised by a subcircuit or a subprogram.  It's a constraint on the summary
results of an abstracted transaction [encapsulated chunk of computational
activity] either way.

3) note that a lot of the language, in particular the patterns drawn from
mathematics and logic, are shared between the assertions in the specification
and the assertions to be tested in planned test points.  A test plan is
usually
a structured sample of the behavior envelope defined in the specification.
The
specified behavior is covered by a combination of actual test points confirmed
and extrapolation or smoothing based on reasoning about the plausible
continuity or discontinuity of behavior.  The construction rules for
specification assertions and test requirements are much the same, but
generally
some particulars in the test points are specializations of the particulars in
the specification assertions.

The specification is composed of a world model and a collection of assertions
relative to that world model.  A test plan is composed of a refined world
model
[adding test equipment as the specific environment in which tests are
performed
-- software test harnesses are 'equipment' in this sense] and a collection of
refined assertions to be confirmed empirically in that context.

4) I put 'markup' in question because XML is usable to create fully formal
languages as well as markup languages like [X]HTML where most of the
information is informally encoded with a light wrapping of more formal
markings.  Of course test points calling for human assessment [does this ALT
text fit?] have entrained natural language definitions of the assertion to be
checked.

Al

<http://www.w3.org/DOM/Test/Documents/DOMTSFAQ.html#usingXML>http://www.w3.o

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom-ts/2001May/0067.html>http://lis
ts.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom-ts/2001May/0067.html
>> that includes a DTD

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom-ts/2001May/att-0067/01-methods
.dtd>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom-ts/2001May/att-0067/01-meth
ods.dtd

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-er-ig/2001May/0094.html>http://

<http://www.itm.mu-luebeck.de/english/publications/Abstract_ttcn-3.html>http

<http://iamwww.unibe.ch/~rvswww/Publikationen/Grabowski/GI-ITG-1995/abstract
>http://iamwww.unibe.ch/~rvswww/Publikationen/Grabowski/GI-ITG-1995/abstract.
>> html
>> And a paper:

<http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cache/papers2/cs/16526/http:zSzzSzwww.itm.mu-lu
eb>http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cache/papers2/cs/16526/http:zSzzSzwww.itm.mu-l
ueb
>> eck.dezSzpublicationszSzttcn3zSzGrabowski.pdf/grabowski00ttcn.pdf
>>
>> Test Specification DTD
>> This DTD defines the format for test specifiers which define component
>> tests and can be executed by the Test Pattern Verifier.  It describes the
>> tests as well as the results.  The end-to-end process is to verify
>> components so that they may be certified and then made available through a
>> component server.

<http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au/Research/SCL/Docs.html>http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.a
u/Research/SCL/Docs.html