Re: Umbrella Specifications Discussion

Le 05-06-15 à 12:04, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux a écrit :
> If I understand correctly, you're saying that we should convey
> somewhere
> that umbrella specifications are good for usability when there are
> more
> than one documents involved in defining a technology. Is that right?

Yes Usability being related to many aspects of the technology which
goes as far as
     - understanding the technology
     - being able to make sense of the conformance model
     - being able to navigate the set of documents

> Yup; but at this point, since I don't see where Umbrella specs fit in
> ViS, I don't know where it fits at all in our documents. Do you
> have any
> suggestion?

If it's in ViS, it should be in the conclusion or in the introduction
as a way to reduce variability introduce by the fragmentation of the
technology among many documents.

Variability is introduced because of technology fragmentations. When
the document is monolithic. The package is obvious to the developer
(or at least should be). When you  introduce many documents
(editorial fragmentation), you somehow introduce a new variability
which might have side effects on usability (understanding,
conformance, etc.)

* Some search on the Web

[[[
has adopted the “Umbrella Specification” or “U-Spec” as standard for
the declaration of its product material content. Infineon provides
the Umbrella Specification as an efficient means to providing our
customers with detailed information, based on an intelligent grouping
of all products in similar packages under one "umbrella".

What is an Umbrella Specification (U-Spec)?

A “U-Spec” is a product material declaration sheet provided in an
easy to read format, so that more than one product is reported with
one set of data. Based on their package family or type, comparable
products are grouped under one "umbrella" and declared with one set
of data. This saves, time, effort and most of all makes it easier for
our customers to manage. The U-Spec is well suited to declaring
materials data for all semiconductor products and is already an
industry accepted standard.
]]] - http://www.infineon.com/cgi/ecrm.dll/jsp/showfrontend.do?
lang=EN&channel_oid=-10528

[[[
7.1.3 Architecture
The H.323 recommendation is often called an `umbrella specification'.
This is because it uses several other ITU-T recommendations to
provide its functionality. The structure of the H.323 architecture is
illustrated in figure 7.1.

]]] - http://research.edm.luc.ac.be/jori/thesis/onlinethesis/
chapter7.html

[[[

The LDAP standard documentation is currently managed by the Internet
Engineering Task Force with the umbrella specification available at:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1777.txt

]]] - http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/sdd/3.htm

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***