Re: Question on Developing Test Assertions

We may have discussed this before, but I don't think we've reached
agreement. (At least, I don't agree!)

The masses don't read specs. They are read be implementors of the
technology and by people developing tests of those implementations. Both
of these groups need precise formal language and if this means that the
text is not "short and readable", so be it. In many (most?) cases the
people developing tests, and therefore identifying assertions, typically
aren't those who developed the spec. To ask them to "interpret the spec"
and to write assertions in their own words rather than in the words of
the spec authors opens up the possibility of diverging interpretations.
I still think the ideal is for assertions to be identified directly
within the spec by some kind of markup, which in some cases could be
performed by the spec authors themselves.

As for "assertions are statement of fact about the implementation rather
than requirements imposed", this distinction seems unnecessary to me. I
don't really mind whether an assertion says "when you push the big red
button the machine must halt" or "pushing the big red button halts the
machine". Both carry the same meaning in the context of conformance.
Requiring someone to go through the spec, copy the first form of the
text, and then convert it into the second form seems like busy-work to me.