RE: Reminder: XMLP WG "Attachment Feature" LC deadline in 8 days

Hi all,

Here is what I intend to send tomorrow 2pm (PDT) as our review of the
SOAP 1.2 Attachment feature.

Let me know if you want to change/add anything. I understand that this
is a short notice. So if you think the notice is too short, please say
so. Then I will send it anyway but with the disclaimer: "has not been
endorsed or reviewed by QA WG".

Note that this must go to the public xmlp-comment list.

Thanks

To: xmlp-comments@w3.org

Cc: David Fallside

Hi all,

Here is the feedback from QA WG on the SOAP 1.2 Attachment:

Overall the document [1] describes a compound SOAP structure, an
abstract feature that would require a choice of the specific
transport/encapsulation protocol bindings in order to be implemented.
Therefore an implementation of this specifications is a specification in
it's turn - a binding specification.

In our review we attempted to measure the testability of the binding
specifications that implement [1] implied by [1].

We find that the following could be added/changed in [1] in order to
improve testability of the binding specifications that implement [1]:

1. Conformance clause should be added that would

-          describe the subject of conformance (a binding specification)

-          summarizes what does it mean to conform to this specification

-          List dependencies: describe what other parts of SOAP 1.2
specification/other specifications a binding must conform to in order to
conform to this specification

2. Prefix att is not defined. QNames of the form att:* are used, but
prefix att is not associated with any namespace. Would be good to
explicitly associate it in the prose with the URI
http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap/features/attachment"

3. Sec 2 - Change "can" to "may" in the "Protocol binding specifications
can use this URI"  to conform to RFC 2119. Unless there is a good
reason, we suggest to even change it to "should", so that there is not
ambiguity on whether the specific binding uses the soap1.2 attachment
feature.

4. Section 6: We suggest to explicitly reference the equivalence rules
used for the URIs when the message parts are identified. (We believe
editors meant the URI equivalence rules specified in the URI spec [3]).
The fact that XML namespace spec uses different equivalence rules for
namespace URIs then the original URI spec causes a confusion among
developers on which rules to use in each case of the URIs use.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-af/

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/

[3] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

Thanks

>To: <chairs@w3.org>

>From: "David C. Fallside" <fallside@us.ibm.com>

>Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:24:26 -0700

>|March 22, 2002) at

>  10/07/2002 01:35:20 PM

>Subject: Reminder: XMLP WG "Attachment Feature" LC deadline in 8 days

>Sender: chairs-request@w3.org

>This is a reminder that the Last Call review period for XMLP WG's 8
page

>SOAP Attachment Feature WD ends in 8 days.

>David C. Fallside, IBM

>Ext Ph: 530.477.7169

>Int  Ph: 544.9665

>fallside@us.ibm.com

>Forwarding...

>Tuesday, September 24, 2002 9:11 AM

>To: chairs@w3.org

>cc:

>From: David Fallside/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS

>Subject: XML Protocol WG's Last Call for Review of SOAP 1.2 Attachment

>Feature

>====

>I. This is the last call announcement from the XML Protocol Working
Group

>(XMLP WG) for review of the "SOAP 1.2 Attachment Feature"
specification.

>====

>II. Request for Document Review.

>The XMLP WG asks for reviews of the following document:

>-- SOAP 1.2 Attachment Feature [1]

>Abstract. "This document defines a SOAP feature that represents an
abstract

>model for SOAP attachments. It provides the basis for the creation of
SOAP

>bindings that transmit such attachments along with a SOAP envelope, and

>provides for reference of those attachments from the envelope. SOAP

>attachments are described using the notion of a compound document
structure

>consisting of a primary SOAP message part and zero or more related

>documents parts known as attachments."

>All comments on this document should be sent to xmlp-comments@w3.org.
If

>appropriate, please include section-references in your comments. The

>appropriate forum for discussion of any of this document is the public
W3C

>xml-dist-app mailing list [2].

>====

>III. XMLP WG Intentions.

>-- The Attachment Feature is on a separate Recommendation track from
the

>main SOAP 1.2 specification. However, after Last Call for the
Attachment

>Feature, the XMLP WG intends to conduct subsequent reviews of the

>Attachment Feature in conjunction with the SOAP 1.2 specification.

>====

>IV. The Last Call review period ends at 5p Pacific Time, 15 October
2002.

>====

>V. The following W3C Working Groups are especially invited to provide

>review comments:

>-- I18N

>-- QA

>-- Semantic Web Activity (WG's therein)

>-- Web Services Architecture

>-- Web Services Description

>-- XForms

>-- XML Core

>-- XML Encryption

>-- XML Signature

>====

>VI. Patent Disclosures.

>A listing and summary of the IPR statements by XMLP WG members is
available