Re: New Definitons for Glossary

David,

This is the response to your question from Mary Brady who is in charge of
our XML Testing activities:

It's actually a mathematical term, because the majority of the
test assertions are written using if...then...(else) logic or a=>b
(a implies b). The if clause or the a part is typically referred
to as the premise. If you are not mathematically inclined, the
same ideas can be stated in other ways. Essentially, you are
trying to identify concrete behaviors, defined in the spec, that
can be easily testable.

Mark

At 12:10 PM 4/16/02 -0400, David Marston/Cambridge/IBM wrote:

>I, too, would like to see the term "test assertion" defined in a
>manner that is approachable by QA practitioners and product
>developers.
>
>"A set of premises that are known to be true by definition in the
>spec."
>
>The above makes me think of my ancient academic study of syllogisms
>and the like. That's far removed (in my world-view) from the
>semantic space where a spec (document) specifies (asserts) how a
>class of product must behave. When testing, you have a product, you
>stimulate it in some way, and you evaluate whether the resulting
>behavior conforms to the spec. Where does the "premise" fit in?
>.................David Marston

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174