Re: New Definitons for Glossary

Thanks for this, Mark...

At 11:28 AM 4/12/02 -0400, Mark Skall wrote:
>[...] I've provided some definitions for these terms.  I couldn't find any
>formal definitions cited elsewhere, but these are how we generally use
>these terms at NIST.  If anyone would like to modify these definitions,
>please respond to the e-mail.  If there are no suggested modifications,
>Karl, please enter these into the glossary.
>
>Generally, test assertion, semantic requirement and test requirement are
>used interchangeably.

This is one point that interested me, because sometimes I suspect that they
are being used for different things (e.g., one refers to an identifiable
actual statement or statements in the specification, and another refers to
a "testable assertion" that is synthesized from one or more statements in
the spec).

>Test Assertion
>A set of premises that are known to be true by definition in the spec.

I think it would be helpful if the definition were less terse.  What does
one actually look like (e.g., example)?  How does a TA relate to actual
identifiable content in a specification, etc.

-Lofton.