Re: P3P Specification Ambiguity: Cookies

As you can see, if you read the archives of this list[1], Ben's suggestion
is violating the specification and doesn't change anything in the user's
perception. The user's perception will be key to the legal questions. So
his approach doesn't work at all.

What P3P does and what it doesn't is specified in the Specification. I
would be very reluctant to believe in FUD like "handling legal
obligations". This is just a term that can mean anything.

The question, whether there is legal value in a P3P Statement depends on
the jurisdiction and is not elaborated for the moment.

But I think it is clear, that if you declare a certain type of data
collection in P3P and your practice follows  the declaration, there
isn't that much harm...

And yes: Privacy is not easy. But not caring about privacy makes you
lose customers.

  1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-p3p-policy/

Best,
--
Rigo Wenning            W3C/INRIA
Policy Analyst          Privacy Activity Lead