W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-multimodal@w3.org > November 2016

MMI minutes November 7, 2016

From: Deborah Dahl <Dahl@conversational-Technologies.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 10:21:50 -0500
To: <w3c-mmi-wg@w3.org>, <www-multimodal@w3.org>
Message-ID: <0e0401d2390a$a9ffde60$fdff9b20$@conversational-Technologies.com>
https://www.w3.org/2016/11/07-multimodal-minutes.html

and below as text

   [1]W3C

 

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

 

                               - DRAFT -

 

                                 MMI WG

 

07 Nov 2016

 

   [2]Agenda

 

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-mmi-wg/2016Nov/0000.html

 

   See also: [3]IRC log

 

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/11/07-multimodal-irc

 

Attendees

 

   Present

          Debbie, Dirk, Kaz

 

   Regrets

          helena

 

   Chair

          Debbie_Dahl

 

   Scribe

          ddahl

 

Contents

 

     * [4]Topics

         1. [5]actions

     * [6]Summary of Action Items

     * [7]Summary of Resolutions

     __________________________________________________________

 

   <scribe> scribe: ddahl

 

actions

 

   action-454?

 

   <trackbot> action-454 -- Deborah Dahl to Turn bullet list into

   text -- due 2016-09-05 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [8]https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/454

 

      [8] https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/454

 

   debbie: that was working on the use cases

   ... for robots

 

   action-456?

 

   <trackbot> action-456 -- Kazuyuki Ashimura to Generate a

   picture based on the tpac flip chart idea -- due 2016-10-10 --

   OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [9]https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/456

 

      [9] https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/456

 

   <kaz> [10]Kaz's diagram

 

     [10] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-mmi-wg/2016Nov/0001.html

 

   <kaz> [11]SVG version diagram

 

     [11] https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/kaz/images/MMI-as-UI-for-WoT.svg

 

   <kaz> [12]PNG version

 

     [12] https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/kaz/images/MMI-as-UI-for-WoT.png

 

   debbie: what is the protocol between MMI and WoT?

   ... the line between the MMI and WoT boxes?

 

   kaz: there are several possibilities

 

   debbie: maybe Life Cycle events?

 

   dirk: what is the main purpose of this?

 

   kaz: MMI architecture could be the UI for the WoT framework

   ... EMMA could be used for interacting with devices

   ... WoT scripting also thinking about event handling and

   discovery, want to ask MMI to look at WoT proposal

 

   debbie: we can look at that

 

   <kaz> [13]Intel's proposal for WoT scripts

 

     [13]
https://github.com/zolkis/wot/blob/master/proposals/restructured-scripting-a
pi/intel-proposal.md

 

   kaz: a developer would be writing scripts to this API

   ... all the clients and servers need to use this API, not

   connect directly

 

   dirk: arrow between the boxes needs to be a WoT protocol, not

   Life Cycle

 

   kaz: this proposal doesn't handle events or data itself

   ... the detailed protocol is hidden

 

   debbie: you could put a layer between the MMI and the WoT that

   would make the WoT look like a MC

 

   kaz: the Automotive WG is looking at a low level socket

   interface rather than a scripting API

   ... this one is not directly handling protocols and data, but

   is more high level, it's more of a wrapper around a socket

   connection

   ... API definition depends on the policy of each

   standardization group

   ... W3C should clarify the layers of the socket interfaces

   ... low level, sockets, high level API's

   ... that should be handled by the TAG

 

   debbie: is there a process for raising a question to the TAG?

   ... do we send an email?

 

   kaz: many of the TAG visited Tokyo last week. I helped moderate

   a session about the Web Incubator Community Group

 

   [14]https://www.w3.org/community/wicg/

 

     [14] https://www.w3.org/community/wicg/

 

   kaz: in the W3C we can send proposals to the TAG, but this is

   also a mechanism for the public

 

   debbie: what's the question? what's the best way to evolve the

   web to non-traditional platforms

 

   kaz: the web consists of browsers, but also servers and other

   related components

   ... browsers are important, but that's not all

   ... wondering how to integrate script discussion and UI

   discussion with MMI discussion

 

   dirk: what is the problem between scripting and MMI?

 

   kaz: the MMI architecture has a complete set of life cycle

   control, but the WoT group has to think about how to integrate

   devices and what kind of newly created script should be used

   ... how to integrate their proposals with our framework

   ... dirk, what kind of protocol do you use in your work, and

   how do you convert?

 

   dirk: we used public/subscribe middleware so that we didn't

   care where something was deployed

 

   kaz: what should we do if we need to access specific devices?

 

   debbie: I've always used middleware between the IM and the

   device

 

   kaz: MMI IM should be another WoT servient

 

   dirk: is this more like an application using this servient?

 

   kaz: WoT is an MC from the MMI viewpoint

   ... should there be one WoT servient that manages all the WoT

   servients?

   ... in one application?

 

   debbie: if the WoT is one MC then we don't care about how it's

   organized internally

 

   kaz: we need to know who to talk with

 

   debbie: what are examples of those servients?

 

   kaz: from the WoT viewpoint, each servient handles a capability

   and a device

   ...kaz: each servient should be attached to a device

   ... like a rice cooker or refrigerator

   ... the WoT box could contain the servients for the whole house

 

   dirk: but we don't have the Russian doll kind of nesting like

   MMI

 

   kaz: each module has server and client capability

   ... but some servients can act more like an IM and some are

   more like modality components

 

   debbie: isn't the RM more of a processor?

 

   kaz: RM could be split into processor and description

 

   dirk: in MMI the behaviors are mostly defined by

   ExtensionNotification

 

   kaz: we should respond to the WoT proposal and then we can have

   a joint discussion

 

   debbie: is the scripting link a good place to start?

   ... someone needs an action to look the scripting proposal

 

   kaz: we should look at the updated scripting proposal but we

   can start commenting on the discovery part

 

   close action-456

 

   <trackbot> Closed action-456.

 

   <scribe> ACTION: kaz to update the WoT/MMI relationship diagram

   [recorded in

   [15]http://www.w3.org/2016/11/07-multimodal-minutes.html#action

   01]

 

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2016/11/07-multimodal-minutes.html#action01]

 

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-460 - Update the wot/mmi relationship

   diagram [on Kazuyuki Ashimura - due 2016-11-14].

 

   action-457?

 

   <trackbot> action-457 -- Kazuyuki Ashimura to Make a

   strawman/template diagram for relationships between entities in

   a use case -- due 2016-10-10 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [16]https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/457

 

     [16] https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/457

 

   kaz: will do that

   ... also need to merge dirk's update to the use cases

 

   action-459?

 

   <trackbot> action-459 -- Kazuyuki Ashimura to Coordinate with

   helena about her library software for the github -- due

   2016-10-31 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [17]https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/459

 

     [17] https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/459

 

   kaz: will coordinate with helena

   ... helena could create a subfolder of the MMI repository, but

   I need to talk with her about licensing

 

   <kaz> Meeting: MMI WG

 

Summary of Action Items

 

   [NEW] ACTION: kaz to update the WoT/MMI relationship diagram

   [recorded in

   [18]http://www.w3.org/2016/11/07-multimodal-minutes.html#action

   01]

 

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2016/11/07-multimodal-minutes.html#action01

 

Summary of Resolutions

 

   [End of minutes]

     

 
Received on Monday, 7 November 2016 15:22:25 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 7 November 2016 15:22:26 UTC