Re: Layout Revision Proposal: CSS and then some

www-multimedia@w3.org,

On 23 Nov 97, you wrote:

> I think it is a reasonable assumption that the majority of content
> developers have at least some design background, and their
> expectations of their tools will reflect this background.

With respect, this is a very dangerous and naive assumption.  The
very history of the web shows this.  Originally HTML was aimed at
people who wanted to *structure* information (i.e., use it
properly).  Then it got (ab)used by a far greater number of people
who wanted layout/presentation control.  If/when SMIL gets
released/taken up by Netscape/MS, it will be probably be used by far
more people without a design background than with one - just as HTML
is used by far more people with no knowledge of SGML or document
structuring than with.

--
Jon Wallis                                 Senior Lecturer in Computing
School of Computing & I.T., University of Wolverhampton, WV1 1SB  -  UK