Re: Server programming for imode accessibility and content

From: Andrea Trasatti <trasatti@bware.it>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:30:01 +0200
To: Kai Hendry <hendry@cs.helsinki.fi>
Cc: www-mobile@w3.org

On 17 Jun 2004 at 10:16, Kai Hendry wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:02:15 +0100, Dimitris Tzanerakis wrote:
> > Can anyone please inform me of any resources (www,
> > books, otherwise) where I can find more about server
> > programming for imode applications and content? Also
> > where can I find what language is normally used for
> > interaction between databases and imode related
> > requests?
>
> I have found this the best resource:
> http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/
>
> I-mode stuff in general is proprietary and closed, and best avoided.
>
> I-mode's CHTML however has taught us that a subset of HTML is workable
> on a limited mobile device.  Something which the WAP Forum people did
> not.
>
> More on CHTML here:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-compactHTML-19980209/
>
> I advise you to use XHTML basic instead.

If I'm not wrong, most i-mode devices will not return an error if you use XHTML basic,
but some tags will not be interpreted correctly. An example is the input tag, iHTML is:
<input type="text" name="andrea" value="1">

XHTML:
<input type="text" name="andrea" value="1" />

Latest devices from DoCoMo support xhtml basic and ixhtml, but not the old ones.
Devices sold in Europe generally support ihtml V4, WML 1.3 and iXHTML.

- Andrea