Re: WAP Competitors ?

Andrew Scott wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 01:09:35AM +0000, Sandeep Hundal wrote:
> >
> > Actually I had a feeling that NTT's services might be a WAP competitor....
>
> NTT has a presence within the WAP Forum. Also, i-mode is restricted to
> Japan at this point in time - everyone else is going for WAP. It makes
> sense for NTT to move into a future version of WAP.

Don't tell that to their 4+ million subscribers!  8-)

> > Has W3C collaborated with NTT on the development of WAP or any
> > recommendations ?? Is C-HTML something the W3C is looking into ??
>
> Both WML and compact HTML have been submitted to the W3C as notes. Also,
> HDML (basically the predecessor to WML) has also been submitted to the
> W3C in the same way. You ought to be able to find these with a search.
>
> There is a formal liaison process between the WAP Forum and the W3C for
> converging the standards. I don't think anything similar exists between
> NTT and the W3C.

As Martin mentioned, NTT is a member of the W3C, as is Access Co.,
the provider of their web browser (IIRC).  Access Co. is co-editor
of XHTML Basic.

Last call for XHTML Basic ends March 15.  Please get your comments
in soon!

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/

MB