Re: MathML + Suno AI

Hi Patrick, all,

Transformers are ubiquitous nowadays, I expect Suno AI is exclusively using
that architecture.
The key is how they've organized their training data and how they have
separated the aspects between models/inputs.
For example, when using the app it is clear that the musical genre is a
separate input from the lyrics. And that you can auto-generate lyrics from
a short English description using a separate model than the
audio-generation model.

I see that suno has an open source model, called bark, accessible here:
https://github.com/suno-ai/bark

Quoting its readme: "It follows a GPT style architecture similar to AudioLM
and Vall-E and a quantized Audio representation from EnCodec. It is not a
conventional TTS model, but instead a fully generative text-to-audio model
capable of deviating in unexpected ways from any given script."

So it appears that they use a single unified model (I assume billions of
parameters, based on the observed audio quality and coherence).

Some key steps for that model (which is likely a weaker version than their
v3 production model)
- They use an LLM transformer to embed the input lyrics into latent space,
hence getting all kinds of useful context (sentiment, long-term verse
structure, etc)
- Then they use an approach similar to AudioLM for "speech continuations"
by mapping "the input audio to a sequence of discrete tokens" and again
leveraging a transformer to learn in-context relationships.
- Here is a guess from me: They likely have a huge collection of pure raw
audio tracks for each genre in their training data, as a starting point
before applying the lyrics. But they also likely use that as training data,
so that the audio-transformer can interpolate adjacent variations to any
given style example.

You can find the AudioLM paper at:
https://arxiv.org/abs/2209.03143

A key sentence from the abstract is also about data scale:
"By training on large corpora of raw audio waveforms, AudioLM learns to
generate natural and coherent continuations given short prompts."

I have no practical experience with the audio modality, so take this as an
"educated guess" from an math NLP practitioner.

---
P.S.

@Stephen: Eurovision is likely out of the question, but Suno AI has its own
internal ranking which has all kinds of strange curiosities. I can't link
to that however, it is the "Explore" tab in the app.

Greetings,
Deyan