RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: a minimal core intent proposal

Yes, our Unicode list consists of default names. The names can be overruled by using intent. Very interesting that other folks have used ℘ for things other than elliptic functions. It’s a good looking symbol 😊 But I really don’t think “script capital p” is a good name even in an intent string since ℘ isn’t a capital. And calling it script confuses it with the math script and math calligraphic p’s. Maybe var script p. Slightly analogous to varepsilon (ε) vs epsilon (ϵ).

Thanks,
Murray

From: Deyan Ginev <deyan.ginev@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2022 3:56 PM
To: Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>
Cc: Neil Soiffer <soiffer@alum.mit.edu>; David Farmer <farmer@aimath.org>; www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: a minimal core intent proposal

Hi Murray and Neil,

I agree that we should assemble a complete list with appropriate Unicode names, and try to keep it sterile from possibly domain-specific assumptions about what a character may or may not be useful for. Neil used the nice tagline of "self-describing", which would be a nice aim. I'm happy to offer help in doing the manual labor collaboratively here.

Nevertheless, I have to disagree about where we draw the lines of what should and should not be assumed by convention.

If a ℘ is used to mean "weierstrass-p", it really needs an intent annotation.
"script-capital-p" is the appropriate baseline for higher-education documents without any intent markup, such as the current state of the arXiv HTML5+MathML corpus.
Some examples:
- in arXiv:0812.1728, the variable ℘ is a "nonempty collection of subsets"
- in arXiv:1904.08618, the variable ℘ is "an irreducible polynomial of positive degree"
- in arXiv:2110.06614, the sequence of variables in ℘_1 to ℘_s are "prime ideals".

Stephen W. offered a lovely list of examples where an msup is not a power. I will also remind that there are about 40 examples of msup notations that different from "power" in the current Intent Open spreadsheet.

Any set of defaults that over-asserts its assumptions will be considered as non-standard in my eyes. Such notation grammars are certainly useful, but belong under a tight umbrella headings. For example, "℘" defaulting to "weierstrass-p" is reasonable only in an explicit context of "elliptic functions".

Greetings,
Deyan