Re: a minimal core intent proposal

Let me second Deyan's thanks for a nice draft for discussion.

If I understood correctly, you're wanting to assume that msup (and other superscripts)
are powers, by default; if they aren't the author must override the interpretation using intent.
That certainly covers a large use-case concisely...

BUT, with my LaTeXML hat on, where I take much abuse for sticking InvisibleTimes between things
that aren't actually multiplied, I very often don't know whether a given superscript is a power or what it is.
So, should I use an intent="superscript" ?

I'd be more inclined to have default speech being more literal, meaning-agnostic, so that msup
without intent would be spoken as "x superscript y" (or whatever the preference is).
Of course, there is still room (and need) for some kind of domain hints.

With my DLMF hat on, where there're lots of intervals, it pains me to think of
   intent = "open-interval@silent(_open_interval_from,$a,_to,$b)"
on *every* interval.  This leads me to wonder if some sort of "Intent Speech Rules"
could be feasible.  An author (or publisher) might define a set of rules like:
    open-interval($a,$b) ==> open-interval@silent(_open_interval_from,$a,_to,$b)
to customize speech patterns?

And finally, I also worry about stretching the intent syntax too far; @hint is already troubling
enough (though I like it).  It's not quite clear how intent="unit" should work.
Perhaps
<mrow intent="unit($n,$unit)">
    <mn arg="n">3</mn>
    <mi arg="unit">cm</mi>
</mrow>
is more workable ?
Alternatively, I'm liking Deyan's ISA proposal for things like units, currency.

Other than those things, I like it :>
bruce

bruce.miller@nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/