RE: [EXTERNAL] Some braille references

Hmm. That's not my understanding. The various apostrophes have different usages. The ASCII apostrophe is often used for input that is then autocorrected to a left/right apostrophe according to context. But in a math zone, it's usually autocorrected to a superscripted prime (U+2032). So the various apostrophes aren't interchangeable. The Unicode Standard<https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf> says about U+0027 (my highlighting): "preferred characters in English for paired quotation marks are 2018 '  & 2019 ' ". That doesn't imply that U+0027 is deprecated (which it isn't).

Thanks,
Murray

From: Hammond, William F <whammond@albany.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 8:02 PM
To: Susan Jolly <easjolly@ix.netcom.com>; 'Deyan Ginev' <deyan.ginev@gmail.com>
Cc: 'Neil Soiffer' <soiffer@alum.mit.edu>; 'David Farmer' <farmer@aimath.org>; 'Sam Dooley' <samdooley64@gmail.com>; 'Noble, Stephen' <steve.noble@pearson.com>; Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>; 'Louis Maher' <ljmaher03@outlook.com>; www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Some braille references

Susan --

I am in agreement with your ideas, and I think they represent the basic idea in Unicode.  However, there are places where the Unicode folk seem to think that characters are glyphs.  For example, they deprecate the use of the ASCII apostrophe U+0027 for the standard apostrophe and suggest that the apostrophe and the English right-single-quote should both sit in the location U+2019 since, they say, the same glyph should be used for both the apostrophe and the English right-single-quote.

           -- Bill