Re: auto-boxing

Paul,

I don't think I understand your issue:

   - If the MathML generated by the new expression is wrong, that is simply
   a bug.
   - If you are saying that you don't like the way Word's editor or some
   other editor works with selection/copy/paste, that's a UI issue and is
   independent of MathML. Some editors might only allow certain edits, and
   others might be more free. E.g., Mathematica's editor (full disclosure, I
   wrote that one) is completely freeform wrt to linear notations. It seems
   that Word's editor won't allow selection of part of the interior of parens
   that extends beyond the parens; that's not a MathML limitation and might be
   considered a feature by some (only allow syntactically meaningful
   selections?)

I think a simple way to break up the first expr is to select all of it,
copy/paste it to the right and then delete the contents of parens as
appropriate. Seems pretty easy and quick. Then add a '2' in front of the
'5's (could have done this first and saved inserting a char). Of course,
everyone's editing style differs.

In the end, I'm not clear why this is a MathML issue but I am likely
misunderstanding your issue.

    Neil

Virus-free.
www.avg.com