Re: [MathML4] Deprecation/Removal of the mfenced element

Sorry, no.   I did not mean expanding to plain text.

I meant the leaf elements would be tagged.   So the example is

 or "an mrow containing [a, b [ f ] d, e]"  for easier discussion.

I almost agree with you and David that if you put in all the mrows (by hand
or by code generation) then there is no information loss between an mfenced
and a 3 element mrow.

We would have to require that syntactically paired operators be given as
the first and last elements of a three element mrow.    But do we ALWAYS
want three element mrows with first and last elements being operators to be
treated as mfenced is?  What about [ x )  or [ + ] or, my personal
favourite,   - x !

Secondly, can we really rely on all mathml  to put in all the grouping
mrows?    We don't require it so I don't think we can count on it.

We also have to allow for fence separators that stretch such as  < x | Q |
y > or  ( a | b ).  In the <x | Q | y> example, we would want the bars to
stretch in the quantum mechanical case, but not if we were talking about
the expected value of x times the absolute value of Q times y.     So we
would have to have

<mrow> \langle x | Q | y \rangle </mrow>  vs

where \langle and \rangle mean the relevant unicode points and leaf tagging
is implied.

What is the rule?   An <mrow> with the first and last elements being
operators all middle operators taken as separators?   This works for  < x |
Q | y >  but not for -x - y + 3!

How would you handle these cases?

Stephen