Re: should MathML dictate a specific graphical rendering

From: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 19:22:42 -0400
To: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>, Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>
CC: Paul Topping <pault@dessci.com>, Daniel Kinzler <daniel@brightbyte.de>, Moritz Schubotz <schubotz@tu-berlin.de>, "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>, Peter Krautzberger <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org>, Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org>, wikidata-tech <wikidata-tech@lists.wikimedia.org>
On 04/09/2016 02:42 PM, William F Hammond wrote:
> Murray Sargent writes in part:
>
>> It's good to have this discussion. Clearly Presentation
>> MathML is used a lot for interchanging math zones between
>> programs. Also I haven't given up on the idea of the
>> browsers rendering MathML well natively. If IE ever
>> succeeds, it'll likely look like TeX, since both IE and
>> Edge use LineServices. And it should be way faster than
>> Java script code.
>
> This would be good to see.

Oh, this would more than "good", it would be...
Well, let's go with the ever popular Sports Analogies:

It would be a game changer.  Moreover, knowing Murray,
I have no doubt that it'd reset the bar for math rendering
on the web.

Sigh. It's all the more frustrating in that MS has already done
the hard part (not to trivialize the integration & testing).

bruce