Re: Minor problem in mathml-for-css 7Jun2011

From: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 08:36:58 -0400
To: www-math@w3.org
David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> writes in part:

> Note though we don't really recommend that mechanism these
> days. It is very much "of its time", even if you were
> using a pure css implementation without javascript, css
> has rather more features in particular flexbox that could
> be used now. (Still not enough sadly)

I agree: still not enough, but, indeed, quite a bit better
than ten years ago.  And the point here is that the
improvements to CSS were made without obvious cognizance of
style needs for math.  Important general needs that would
further help us include finer control of alignment,
particularly vertical alignment outside and inside flexboxes
and fancier options for border decorations along the lines
of border-radius so that we can adapt them for stretchy
fences other than parentheses.

                                    -- Bill