Re: lmoustache/rmoustache as stretchy delimiters

On 08/30/2015 07:30 PM, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 30/08/2015 21:21, Neil Soiffer wrote:
>> You are indeed right and I'm wrong. For whatever reason, the \big (and
>> \bigg) versions of those characters produce very different looking
>> characters than the non-stretched ones in LaTeX.
>>
>> So I agree with David's original suggestion for the values.
>
> they are just available in large sizes as the texbook makes it fairly
> clear they are just there as an artefact of the construction of large
> braces, placing the pieces together in different combinations.
>
> the TeXBook says:
>
> \danger ......
> You can also use ^|\lgroup| and ^|\rgroup|,
> which are constructed from braces without the middle parts; and
> ^|\lmoustache| and ^|\rmoustache|, ^^{moustaches}
> which give you the top and bottom halves of large braces. For example,
> here are the |\Big| and |\bigg| versions of....

That quote justifies the dubious assignment to the unicode bracket
fragments; they apparently were intended to be merely fragments, rather
than stand-alone delimiters. OTOH, they're also declared as \delimiter,
so they can be used stand-alone with the expectation of stretchiness.

Independently, of course, of whether anyone _should_ do that....

bruce