Re: Arabic Mathematical Alphabetic Symbols

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:34:30 +0100
To: Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr>
CC: "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
On 28/09/2013 14:49, Frédéric WANG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To follow up on the recent discussion on mathvariant ; I think the
> MathML spec should be updated to mention the Arabic Mathematical
> Alphabetic Symbols block introduced in Unicode 6.1:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter3.html
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_Mathematical_Alphabetic_Symbols
>
> Frédéric Wang

These are in the MathML3 spec already.

http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter3.html#presm.commatt

although not a lot of detail is given, it does say:

> mathvariant values "initial", "tailed", "looped", and "stretched" are appropriate only for Arabic characters.

Most of the detailed math alphabet descriptions were moved out of  the
MathML spec at MathML 3 and moved to the entities spec.

The editors draft of that does list the Arabic alphabet block.

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007doc/1EE.html

We should probably submit the editors draft of that as a 2nd edition REC
at some point.