Re: RTL directionality in LaTeX

Le 05/11/2013 15:43, Khaled Hosny a écrit :

> Since the direction of text and math are not always the same (many RTL
> languages set math LTR), the command need to be explicitly for math.
Yes, that was one of the reason to make Gecko interpret CSS direction
property the same way as MathML dir attribute (the other reason is that
it simplifies the implementation). In an ideal world where MathML
implementations are compatible with CSS, people could then just use
something like

math { direction: rtl; }

or with CSS selectors

div.MyArabicDiv math { direction: rtl; }

to set the direction on all the math elements rather than having to
explicitly attach a dir="rtl" attribute on each one.
> But if it is just some pseudo-LaTeX syntax, I don’t think the actual
> notation matters much, but \rtl{} looks more LaTeX-like to me.
Or perhaps \dir[rtl]{...} with an optional parameter so that someone can
still switch back to LTR with \dir[ltr]{...}.

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic