Re: Stretchy equal sign for commutative diagrams

Patrick Ion <ion@ams.org> writes in part:

> In general though, I'd suggest that a combination of SVG for larger
> diagrams and MathML for equational decorations (the whole possibly to be
> viewed as a math object) should be the way to go.  . . .

Focusing on whether the whole should be viewed as a math object:

Is there any extant computer algebra system in which commutative diagrams
are objects?  Or, at least, are there plans for such?  (Sage?)  If so,
where can one learn about the corresponding structures and function calls?

                                    -- Bill