Re: Using content-MathML for computation and analysis in Science and Engineering

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov> wrote:

> On 03/15/2012 10:24 AM, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:As you said earlier in the
> thread: MathML has good
> declarative power. But to express programming or
> computations, you'll need imperative.
> At least simple things like distinguishing
> the declarative relationship k=0.1 from the
> imperative assignment k=0.1.
>
> Understood, I think. In my current implementation this sets/changes the
value of k within the current scope

> You'll have an easier time declaring the relationships
> in MathML than expressing the demand for their computations
> --- assuming your computational engine can figure out
> what to do.  However, if you do want to express the computations,
> I would encourage you to at least consider how those could
> be cast in MathML using apply, csymbol etc.  and in particular
> using a content dictionary with symbols for expressing those
> imperatives.  Could be useful to others!
>
> I'm probably not the best person to do this! I can make something that
"works" but it may not be idiomatic. Everything we do is (of course) Open
Source  so it's inspectable. when we have something running we'd be
grateful for comments. It's more important that it uses a pragmatic idiom
that's acceptable than breaks new ground in formal systems!

Thanks again

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics