Re: Using content-MathML for computation and analysis in Science and Engineering

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Daniel Marques <dani@wiris.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,

Thanks - this is very useful

> With content MathML you can express mathematics in a semantic way. What it
> seems you need is some kind of formalization of an algorism witch is
> outside the scope of content MathML

Very useful to know this is outside the scope. We can then create our own
binding

> if you consider the “structured programing” paradigm. In case you want to
> follow a fully “functional programming” approach:
>
> (k,req)à(R à k(R-reg)^2 )

Yes. Although I appreciate this, it will probably freak out most scientists

> or a logical approach:
>
>             k=0.1 /\ req=1.5 /\ (E=Ràk(R-reg)^2)

Not sure what some of the symbols are - the renderer in Google mail has
trashed them. Could you reformulate in presentation MathML ?

Whatever model you chose, content MathML can still be useful to express
> some pieces of the whole system. For example, if you want to consider the
> algorism as a sequence of declaration statements, the right part of each
> statement can be encoded with content MathML. In your case, you would need
> three statements:
>
> k=*0.1*
>
> req=*1.5*
>
> E=*R **à** k(R-req)^2*
>
> where only the right part of the statements is encoded as content MathML.

This is very helpful. We can now solve our problems. I just wanted to make
sure I wasn't missing something.

Is it correct to say: you can't actually write executable programs in
MathML but you can add binding to make them executable.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics