Re: Typesetting for print

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 12:42 PM, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 18/01/2012 03:54, Wendell P wrote:
> > I would like to produce mathematical documents in an entirely XML
> > workflow.
>
> ...The pdf version of the MathML spec is typeset via [Tex]...
> ...At NAG we typeset our pdf using 3b2/APP from XML
> sources including mathml...

This is the main issue. I am so far aware of just two ways to get
quality typesetting from MathML, 1) convert to TeX or 2) use one of the
big commercial systems like 3B2. Converting just bits of MathML to TeX
seems easy enough, but what about processing whole XML+MathML+SVG
documents? I looked briefly and that seems like a very steep hill to
climb.

I've never used 3B2/APP and can't even find detailed documentation
online. Of course, I couldn't afford it anyway. I was hoping someone
could tell me how to get better results from the free or cheap(er)
systems.

> If word is an option, as you say,

Good heavens, no. I wouldn't want to work with MS Word or its file
format. I just meant that I was satisfied with the look of its math
typesetting. By contrast, equation rendering in OpenOffice is IMO too
rough.