Re: What is "f'(x)" as MathML?

(Sent quickly. Please excuse brevity.)

On 22/01/2011, at 3:43 AM, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21/01/2011 16:47, J.Fine wrote:
>> (Unicode 3.2 lacks a dot-less j and a non-superscript prime)".
>
> ah but we got a dotless j into unicode (4.1) two of them in fact:
>
> 0237;LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J;Ll;0;L;;;;;N;;;;;
> 1D6A5;MATHEMATICAL ITALIC SMALL DOTLESS J;Ll;0;L;<font> 0237;;;;N;;;;;
>
> It's not clear if a new prime symbol would really help much because (as with having a separate minus sign separate from - users will use the ascii one anyway so rendering systems need to cope with the existing prime as well as any new one.

(snip)

> It is probably hard to find any uses of a non superscripted prime.

Indeed. In OpenType maths, (in any well behaved maths font) the prime symbol reverts to its non-subscripted form when the +ssty feature is enabled to indicate the symbols are for use in a subscript/superscript context. I don't know what the status is of browsers using OpenType font features, but following this practice would seem sensible to me.

Will