RE: MathML and web fonts

Hi.

In direct answer to 1, MathML, the language, provides a mechanism for
requesting specific fonts. While deprecated, the widely implemented
fontfamily attribute (valid on <mstyle>, and token elements, and as of
MathML 3 <math>) allows requesting a font by name.  The method now
recommended to implementers is to provide a mechanism for mapping the
logical mathvariant values to physical fonts, and in environments
supporting CSS, to honor CSS font directives.

Of course and David and Paul have already noted, implementations vary in
how well they do this...

--Robert