Re: Why mtable doesn't have also an attribute height

Since no one else have waded in, I'll express my opinion as to why...

For the use cases of tables in math, each cell is laid out horizontal, line
wrapping contents if needed because of a width restriction.  The cells, and
ultimately the table, will then have a height that is computed based on the
width of each cell.  Restricting a table to a page or column width is common
in laying out tables.  A height restriction would imply that widths are not
constrained so that the height restriction can be met.  Of the to of my
head, I think it would be difficult to implement since multiple widths would
need to be tried.

I am unaware of a use case for restricting or setting an explicit height.
Do you have a use case in mind?

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Ionel Alexandru <ionel.alexandru@gmail.com