Re: mathcolor/mathbackground on <math/> and <semantics/> elements?

On 21/04/2010 11:27, Frédéric WANG wrote:

Thanks for the comments, the following is a personal reply, we'll get
group agreement before actually making any changes.

> Hello,
>
> The spec says that mathcolor/mathbackground are accepted on all MathML
> presentation elements:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter2.html#interf.toplevel.atts
>
> <math/> and <semantics/> are not listed among MathML presentation
> elements, so I think mathcolor/mathbackground should not be allowed on
> them, and this is confirmed by the RelaxNG schema.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter3.html#presm.summary
>
> However, the two sentences below could be interpreted as saying that
> <math/> accepts mathcolor/mathbackground attributes:
>
> "The math element accepts any of the attributes that can be set on
> Section 3.3.4 Style Change <mstyle>"
> "mstyle elements accept the attributes listed in Section 3.1.10
> Mathematics style attributes common to presentation elements. "

I think this is fairly explicit that math should really work (as far as
its children are concerned) like an mstyle. If the schema doesn't have
that attribute that's an error, sorry about that.

> and this one for <semantics/>:
>
> "semantics should be considered part of both presentation MathML and
> content MathML"

That's more of a general hint that for example "just do presentation
mathml" systems just  should at least accept semantics to the point of
rendering a presentation attribution or a first child if that's
presentation. (and not raise an error on semantics as an unknown
element) I don't think that this informal note should have any effect on
the schema.

David