RE: MathML browser test page

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the test page.

I’m always checking things out re: MathML, so I tried your link. At first, my reaction was underwhelming. Problems with under- and overbraces, awkward-looking radical signs, and others. Overall, I was disappointed with STIX Beta on Firefox 3.0.11.

I have a tendency to install/upgrade browsers (FF, IE, Amaya, Opera), plug-ins, and utilities, so I thought it worthwhile to check my Firefox configuration. About:config/Preference Name/font.mathfont-family set for the STIX Beta fonts, yup, AOK. But when I went to the Fonts Control Panel in Windows, the STIX Beta fonts WERE NOT INSTALLED. Geesh, what did I do in my experimenting??

Anyway, after going to “Fonts for MathML-enabled Mozilla”, downloading the latest STIXBeta.zip, unzipping to a directory, installing and copying the fonts using the Control Panel, and restarting Firefox, I was pleasantly surprised: MathML display that was comparable to TeX output on your test page. Altogether, the process took only about 2 min and that includes restarting Firefox. Performance is good on page zooming up/down--less than a second.

I know there are some who are unhappy with a separate install for math fonts (at least for now), but we’ve all installed Acrobat Reader to view PDFs and other sorts of players for special applications, so I think it’s more than worthwhile to (properly) install the STIX Beta fonts for MathML viewing. As Christoph Lange commented separately, it’s “really easy”.

Thanks, that helped. I’m much more optimistic about the future of MathML.

Regards,

Mike Waters