Re: Parallel markup: Why do the links point from content to presentation?

On Sunday 25 January 2009 01:12:52 David Carlisle wrote:
> > So you argue in favour of a revision of the <semantics> spec?
>
> not a change in specification, just perhaps another example that has
> content mathml as first child, but examples don't have to be in the
> specification document, ... which should really have the minimum examples
> needed to describe an element. Once you get too many examples it becomes
> more tutorial than specification.
>
> > This example is convincing, but having each of the <mo>+</mo> link to the
> > <plus/> is not possible in MathML 2 or 3, is it?
>
> yes, why not, stick an id="zzz" on the plus and you can have any number
> of <mo xref="zzz">+</mo>  pointing at that element.

Oh, I see -- so pointing from content markup to presentation markup actually
is not prescribed by the spec, but it is up to the author in what direction to
point?  I wasn't aware of this.  For us, that means that we could tell the
developer of our parallel markup renderer to generate presentation --> content
pointers.

Cheers, and thanks,

Christoph