Re: MathML Problems

On Feb 7, 2009, at 12:36 AM, Wei Bin Chuah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a math teacher planning to use MathML for my website. However,
> when I copy and paste the code and save it as a HTML file, it does
> not appear as it should be. May you guys help me solve the problem?
>
> Thanks.

Using MathML can, unfortunately, be a bit daunting at first. Are the
browsers you will be using able to display MathML? Not all versions of
all browsers are.

You also have to have your content as HTML. It needs to be declared as
the right kind of stuff for it to work. I have been searching for an
easy way to write MathML and I cannot find one, but I am on Mac OS X
and there may be tools on other platforms.

As far as the document structure, I am seeing this in the test cases
in the Mozilla repository used for testing Firefox. Note the "xml"
file extension. Firefox, for one, needs this.

Hope this helps.

cheers - ray

%
% cat simple.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
   "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"
[
   <!ENTITY mathml "http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
]>

<!-- ***** BEGIN LICENSE BLOCK *****
    - Version: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
(stuff added here...)
    -
    - ***** END LICENSE BLOCK ***** -->

<head>
   <title>Simple Document with MathML</title>
</head>

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
<mrow>
    <mi>x</mi>