Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> > > What is the rationale for this?
> >
> > As I understand it the original mappings were CJK characters, they're
> > not the right ones for angle brackets.
>
> I'm afraid I don't follow your reasoning. Maybe U+3008 is not the right
> one for some uses of angle brackets, but it is the right one for other
> uses - exactly for the same ones for which U+2329 was correct. If
> someone needs a named entity for mathematical left angle bracket, they
> can suggest a new name, but changing the semantics of an existing name
> doesn't seem appropriate.
>
> The mathematical use of this character is not even common enough to
> argue that it is the most important case (I'm not sure if it has any
> importance at all, since in mathematics, such brackets usually need to
> grow to surround multi-line content, something that won't happen when
> rendering HTML).

There were numerous requests for this change and it was made some time ago
-- does the change actually break anything?

My understanding is that the original lang and rang codepoints were CJK
characters only because no better characters existed.