Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

On May 23, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> lang  U+027E8
>>> rang  U+027E9
>>
>> What is the rationale for this?
>
> As I understand it the original mappings were CJK characters, they're
> not the right ones for angle brackets.

I'm afraid I don't follow your reasoning. Maybe U+3008 is not the
right one for some uses of angle brackets, but it is the right one for
other uses - exactly for the same ones for which U+2329 was correct.
If someone needs a named entity for mathematical left angle bracket,
they can suggest a new name, but changing the semantics of an existing
name doesn't seem appropriate.

The mathematical use of this character is not even common enough to
argue that it is the most important case (I'm not sure if it has any
importance at all, since in mathematics, such brackets usually need to
grow to surround multi-line content, something that won't happen when
rendering HTML).

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov